Chef Fred's Cauliflower Gratin
2 tbs butter (cold)
2 tbs flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 ½ shredded gruyere cheese
1 large head of cauliflower
½ cup bread crumbs
salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
1. In a sauce pot, combine butter and flour over low heat to make a roux. Be careful not to burn.
2. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
3. Add 1 cup gruyere cheese.
4. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg (should only be a pinch).
5. Cut out core and remove leaves from cauliflower. Slice long ways in half inch slices.
6. Brush inside of 9x13 pan with melted butter and coat in bread crumbs.
7. Layer cauliflower, gruyere, then cheese sauce in a pan. Repeat layering and top with remaining gruyere and bread crumbs.
8. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes, cauliflower should be tender and top should be golden brown.