Chef Fred's Frisee Salad
4 oz frisee
2 oz Belgian endive, julienned
1 oz radicchio, julienned
2 oz parmesan, shaved
2 oz pistachios, toasted and chopped
½ blood orange, segmented
4 oz slab bacon, cut into ½ inch lardons (cubed towers)
2 oz honey
3 oz sherry vinegar
3 oz extra virgin olive oil
mix all ingredients and
- In a sauté pan, add bacon with just a little water. This is done to render the fat of the bacon into the water. When the water evaporates, the bacon lardons will cook in the fat. This cooking method will crisp the outside of the bacon while maintaining a soft, meaty inside.
- Remove bacon, leave drippings in pan.
- Add honey and bring to a boil.
- When nice bubbles start to form, add vinegar to deglaze pan.
- Remove from flame, whisk in olive oil.
- In a large salad bowl, toss all ingredients. Add dressing while warm and serve.
*Note, this recipe will make enough dressing for several salads. Store in refrigerator, but heat before serving. It would also be great with steamed veggies, or any other kind of salad as well. (Check out Sourced Volume 6 for a great Griddled Crimson Tomato Sandwich recipe, this dressing would be great added to that.)