Chef Fred's Pommes Anna
1 lb purple yams (ratalu)
1 lb orange yams
1 lb gold potatoes
4 oz melted butter
1 oz olive oil
1 tbs fresh chopped thyme
1 tbs fresh chopped sage
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel all potatoes and slice to 1/16 of an inch .Tip - use a mandolin for the best consistency.
- Add a mixture of butter and olive oil to a cold, oven safe, non-stick 12 inch pan.
- Arrange potato slices in concentric circles (you pick the pattern of colors) in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle butter and oil mixture, 1/3 of the herbs, and salt and pepper to taste, to cover the first layer of potatoes.
- Repeat this layering, two more times, for a total of three layers of potatoes.
- On a stovetop, heat over a medium flame until potatoes start to sizzle.
- Cover and place in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover, bake for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly.
- Flip pan over onto a cutting board or platter (this is going to be hot) and cut into sections.