Chef Fred's Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho
1 large seedless watermelon, cut and scooped
2 sweet onions, sliced
2 jalapenos, sliced and seeded
4 ancho chiles, toasted
½ to 1 cup fresh lime juice
½ cup honey
1 cup silver tequila
1 clove garlic, minced
- Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeno until translucent.
- Add one ancho (seeds removed), ¼ of the lime juice, honey, and tequila.
- Reduce slightly.
- Let cool briefly, then puree (in a food processor) with watermelon.
- Strain through a chinois or other fine sieve.
- Add remaining ancho chilies to steep (wrap in cheese cloth preferably).
- Let cool. Remove ancho and adjust seasoning with salt and remaining lime juice.
- Serve chilled with diced melon and fresh chopped chilies.