1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
2 tsp hot curry powder
1 1/2 button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp dried leaf oregano, crushed
2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
1 loaf or 16 1/2 inch thick slices of Italian or French bread
Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Heat oil, pepper and curry powder in deep skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add mushrooms, onion, 2 cloves minced garlic and oregano. Mix well, cover and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Remove lid, lower heat and continue to cook, stirring often until mushroom mixture is somewhat dry in texture.
- Remove from heat and mix in vinegar and chopped parsley. Adjust seasonings.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Toast bread until golden. While toast is still warm, rub cut garlic on one side of each slice.
- If desired, drizzle with olive oil.
- Place warm mushroom topping on bread and serve immediately.