Sweet Potato Pancakes with Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
Sweet Potato Pancakes
3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (orange flesh)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
cooking spray, as needed
Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
1 lb cremini and/or white button mushrooms, quartered
1 tbs vegetable oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft; let cool.
- Peel and mash potatoes, using an electric mixer.
- Add milk, egg, and vegetable oil to potatoes; mix.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to potato mixture.
- Mix on low until just blended.
- Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat; coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Use ¼ cup of batter per pancake, ladling into hot skillet.
- Wait until pancake bubbles and looks slightly dry on top before flipping over.
- While pancakes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in another skillet (do not use non-stick) over medium flame.
- Add quartered mushrooms and toss to coat with oil.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run.
- Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to pan.
- Let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- To serve, stack 2-3 pancakes, alternating with balsamic maple mushrooms.