This desert just screams for ice cream! Use any combination of firm, crisp apples like Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp or Pink Lady.
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup + 1 tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbs cubed, cold, unsalted butter
3 lbs crisp, firm baking apples (see suggestions) cubed
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine old-fashioned oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add butter and use fingers to mix into oats.
- Place oat mixture in the refrigerator while preparing apples.
- Combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar and 1 tbs flour.
- Place apple mixture in a buttered, cast-iron pan or casserole dish.
- Top with oats.
- Bake until top is golden brown and apples are tender and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce!