Apple Noodle Kugel
1 bag of extra wide egg noodles
1 stick of butter
15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
16 ounce container of sour cream
½ cup cinnamon apple sauce
4 large eggs
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs maple syrup
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 medium Michigan Northern Spy, Cortland, or Honeycrisp, peeled, cored and diced
1½ cups crushed Frosted Flakes, mixed with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons melted butter
Blueberries or other berry for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to boil with 1 teaspoon salt. Add dry egg noodles and boil for 7 minutes.
- Drain and return the noodles back to the pot. Add butter and stir until melted. Leave in the pot while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
- In a food processor, add ricotta, sour cream, apple sauce, sugar, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Pulse until mixed and smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the noodles and stir until the noodles are well coated. Add the apples and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and top with the Frosted Flakes mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour. (If the cereal starts to burn, cover with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting, garnish with fresh berries.
Recipe courtesy of the Michigan Apple Council.