Broccoli Penne Pasta
1 pound dry penne
1 pound broccoli, quartered
2 tbs olive oil
4 tbs unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, grated
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan
¾ cup pine nuts
toasted breadcrumbs for garnish
- Prepare the penne to al dente stage. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat. Add the quartered broccoli in a single layer with as many cut sides down as possible. Cook for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they are just browned and not burned. Toss the broccoli to cook the other cut sides for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli temporarily to a bowl. Reduce the heat slightly and add the butter. When it begins to brown add the garlic and turn off the heat. Stir the garlic in the butter for about a minute. Add the broccoli back to the pan and toss to coat with the butter.
- Add the broccoli and all of the butter to the penne. Toss lightly. Add the grated parmesan and toss again.
- Serve the dish topped with pine nuts and a sprinkling of toasted breadcrumbs.