Moroccan Tomato Soup
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
3 tbs honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
5 fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
4 cups water or no salt added chicken stock
¼ cup fresh dill
½ cup fresh parsley
¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
4 ½ cups cranberry beans or garbanzo beans, already cooked without salt
5 ounces baby spinach
fat free sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add honey, cinnamon, tomatoes (fresh and can), water (or chicken stock), dill, parsley, Balsamic vinegar and beans. Stir well.
- Simmer 45 minutes. (If thicker soup is desired, use potato masher to mash some of beans after soup has simmered 30 minutes.)
- Stir in spinach and heat just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Top with fat-free sour cream or plain yogurt, if desired.