Nopales are the leaves from the plant known as the Prickly Pear cactus, they are a common ingredient in numerous Mexican cuisine dishes.
1 1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 Serrano peppers, finely chopped
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/3 Olive oil
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup crumble fresh cheese
- Corn tortillas or tostadas to serve.
- Cut the cactus paddles in small strips.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of salt to the water. (Adding onion and garlic to boiling water is optional).
- Add Nopales to boiling water and boil for 15-18 minutes.
- Once cooked, rinse Nopales and drain or pat dry with paper towels.
- Prepare Nopales as indicated and let cool.
- Mix all ingredients and serve!