1 pound rhubarb (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
2 sweet red apples (such as Rome or Gala, peeled, cored and sliced)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbs pure cane sugar
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, apples, orange juice, cinnamon and cane sugar.
- Cover and cook over MEDIUM heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is just tender.
- Taste the mixture and add more sugar if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, olive oil and brown sugar.
- Mix well to combine.
- Spread mixture on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon half of the bread crumb mixture into the bottom of a shallow serving dish.
- Cover with the warm fruit mixture and top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Serve warm.