2 apples, cored and diced
½ cup red onion, diced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs garlic, minced
1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 cup apple cider
1 orange (segmented)
2 tbs honey
2 tbs diced roasted red peppers
1 tbs chopped cilantro
1 tbs butter
salt and pepper to taste
*Suggested varieties: Red Delicious, Fuji, McIntosh
- Use a sauce pan and heat on medium heat. Add olive oil to the pan. After the oil is warm add the onions and sauté until slightly tender which will be about 2 minutes.
- Add three-quarters of the apples and lightly sauté for another minute.
- Add minced garlic and ginger, and stir briefly. Deglaze pan with red wine vinegar.
- Add apple cider to pan and place on medium heat and reduce sauce by two thirds.
- After chutney is at correct thickness reduce heat to low and add in the peppers, the remaining apples, orange segments and the honey and stir.
- Add in the butter to glaze the sauce and the cilantro. Taste sauce and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
Recipe courtesy of the Michigan Apple Council.