An indulgent custard dish with brandy and sour cherries.
1 lb fresh sour cherries (sour cherries are most often used for cooking and baking while sweet cherries are used for snacking and candy making)
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
4 large eggs
½ cup all-purpose or gluten free flour
½ cup sugar
2 tbs brandy (optional)
½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
powdered sugar for garnish
unsalted butter (for ramekins)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter the inside of 6 – 1 cup ramekins (ceramic or silicone)
- Mix cherries and brandy together in a bowl and gently place them inside the ramekins. Save a handful of cherries for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and cream and bring to a light simmer over low to medium heat and set aside.
- Combine eggs, flour, sugar, zest, vanilla and salt in a bowl and gradually whisk in hot milk and cream until custard is smooth.
- Pour batter over cherries and gently shake or tap ramekins to make sure that the batter settles evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with lemon zest and remaining cherries.