This dish is a healthy, Southern classic. High in fiber, vitamins and minerals, low in calories and zero saturated fats and cholesterol, Okra is thought to protect against liver and kidney disease and diabetes.
1 lb okra
1 ½ cup corn meal
½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
Frying oil (Canola or Vegetable is recommended)
- Trim the stem ends off the okra pods. If you prefer, okra can be cut into bit size slices.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and water together.
- In a second bowl, combine corn meal, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot to 350 to 375 degrees.
- Dip okra in egg mixture, let excess drip off then dip in cornmeal to coat.
- Fry okra in batches, they shouldn’t touch when in the oil, until the coating turns brown and crispy.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with extra salt and cayenne if desired.