Grilled Eggplant and Greens with Turmeric
Longer and more slender than other varieties, the Chinese Eggplant has a mild and sweet taste that pairs well with Asian cuisine. The skin is rich in antioxidants and because it is thin, can be left on. For an enhanced, smoky flavor, try grilling eggplant before adding to a stir fry.
2 medium Chinese Eggplant
2 large bunches of hardy greens (kale or swiss chard work best)
¾ tsp ground turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup fresh mint
¾ cup plain yogurt
¼ tsp garam masala or curry powder
lemon wedges for garnish
- Slice eggplant crosswise in ½ inch thick steaks and toss in a bowl with turmeric, salt and pepper and 2tbsp olive oil. Toss greens with 2 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill eggplant on medium-high heat, turning often until lightly charred, 5-10 minutes.
- Grill greens, turning often, 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and remove ribs and stems, tear remaining leaves into pieces.
- Toss leaves, eggplant, mint and 2tbs oil together.
- Mix yogurt and garam masala or curry together.