Another family favorite from the Maranos! If you're looking to save some time, canned beans will work as well but we prefer the flavor and freshness of dried beans.
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 Roma tomatoes, roasted and peeled
4 ounces pancetta
2 cups dry white kidney beans
3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup toasted plain bread crumbs
grated Parmesan cheese
To cook kidney beans:
- Rinse dry beans well.
- Put in a pot and cover with water.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat and let sit for an hour.
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute garlic, onion, carrot, celery and pancetta in olive oil for 5 minutes or until onions are clear.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth and rosemary.Cover and simmer for about an hour (the beans will begin to break down.)
- Add kale and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Remove from heat and garnish with olive oil and cheese.